Nubia, the brand whose parent company is ZTE, has launched the Nubia Z17, its flagship smartphone in its home country China. The smartphone’s picture and model number were leaked on benchmarking site Geekbench early last month, and its specs were mistakenly revealed on the official Nubia website.
The nubia Z17 is coming two months after its lower variant, the nubia Z17 Mini was launched. The smartphone comes with a beautiful design and mind-blowing specs, and is fit for the flagship status it has been accorded. Check out the full review of the device below.
ZTE Nubia Z17 Review
The ZTE Nubia Z17 runs on Android 7.1.1 Nougat which is the latest version of the Android OS. It, however, offers more feature than you get with stock Android as it runs version 5.0 of the company’s custom UI, Nubia UI.
Design & Display
It comes with a 5.5-inch FHD display with 450 nits brightness and 96% NTSC color gamut, with additional Corning Gorilla Glass protection.
As expected from a smartphone of its calibre, the Nubia Z17 comes with a metal unibody bezel-less design and is reportedly water resistant, although no IP ratings have been specified.
Memory & Performance
The flagship octa-core Snapdragon 835 processor which runs on the 10nm process and can clock speeds up to 2.45GHz powers the Nubia Z17 under the hood in conjunction with an Adreno 540 GPU which handles its graphics processes.
The smartphone comes in three memory variants; the first and highest variant with 8GB of LPDDR4X RAM and 128GB of UFS 2.1 storage, while the other two have 6GB of LPDDR4X RAM and either 64GB or 128GB internal storage, both using the UFS 2.1 filesystem technology. The internal storage capacities of both variants can be expanded using a microSD card.
The ZTE Nubia Z17 sports a dual camera setup at the rear, consisting of a primary 12MP camera with a f/1.8 aperture, Dual Pixel focus and a secondary 23MP camera with 2x optical zoom and 10x dynamic zoom. The rear is also adorned with a dual-tone LED flash.
The smartphone also sports a 16MP camera with a f/2.0 aperture and 80-degree wide-angle lens at the front.
The flagship smartphone packs a 3200mAh battery and uses the new Qualcomm Quick Charge 4+ fast charging technology which charges up to 50% in just 25 minutes. By this, the Nubia Z17 becomes the first smartphone to use the new fast charging technology.
Connectivity & Hardware
The Nubia Z17 comes with an array of sensors, of which a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor and an infrared sensor are part. Its connectivity options include a USB Type-C port, Wi=Fi 802.11ac dual-band, NFC, GPS with GLONASS & Beidou, and Bluetooth 4.1. It comes with a hybrid Nano SIM slot with support for 4G LTE.
ZTE Nubia Z17 Full Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz.
- 4G: LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 20(800), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500).
- Network Speed:
- HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps
- LTE Cat6 300/50 Mbps.
- SIM Type: Nano SIM.
- SIM Count: Hybrid SIM
- OS: Android 7.1.1 Nougat.
- User Interface: Nubia UI 5.0.
Design & Display
- Dimensions: 152.6 *x 72.4 * 7.6 mm.
- Weight: 173g.
- Display size: 5.5 inches.
- Display Resolution: 1920 * 1080 pixels (Full HD).
- Pixel resolution: ~403 ppi pixel density
- Display Technology: IPS LCD Capacitive touchscreen.
- Form Factor: Touchscreen Bar.
- Metal Unibody Bezel-less Design.
- Water-repellent nano-coating.
- ~74.7% screen-to-body ratio.
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass.
- Colours: Aurora Blue, Black Gold, Obsidian Black, Solar Gold & Flame Red.
- Processor Name/Technology: 64-bit 10nm Snapdragon 835.
- Processor Speed: 2.45GHz.
- Number of Processor Cores: Octa-core.
- Graphics Processor: Adreno 540.
- RAM: 8GB/6GB LPDDR4X.
- Internal Storage: 128GB UFS 2.1.
- External Storage: microSD.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Light, Proximity, Fingerprint Sensor, Gyroscope, Compass, Infrared sensor.
- Lens: 12MP + 23MP dual cameras.
- LED Flash: Yes, Dual-tone.
- Video recording: Yes, 1080p.
- Properties: f/1.8 aperture (Primary)| f/2.0 aperture (Secondary), PDAF, 1/2.55″ CMOS sensor, 1.4μm pixel size.
- Lens: 16MP.
- LED Flash: No.
- Video recording: Yes.
- Properties: f/2.0 aperture.
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA.
- Loudspeaker: Yes.
- Audio Technology: –
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player.
- FM Radio: Yes.
- Bluetooth: v4.2.
- Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, LE.
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot, DLNA.
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS.
- USB: USB Type-C.
- USB OTG: Yes.
- NFC: Yes.
- 3.5mm audio jack: Yes.
- Battery Capacity: 3200mAh.
- Battery Technology: Li-Po.
- Removable? No.
- Fast Charging: Yes, Qualcomm Quick Charge 4+ (charges 50% in 25 minutes).
- Extra Features: NeoVision 7.0 camera features.
- Launch Date: June 1, 2017.
- Availability: June 6, 2017.
How much is ZTE Nubia Z17 in China?
The ZTE Nubia Z17 comes in Aurora Blue, Obsidian Black, BlackG Gold, Solar Gold, Flame Red colours and will be available to the public in China from the 6th of June. The 6GB RAM + 64GB ROM version will cost 2,799 Yuan in China, the 6GB RAM + 128GB ROM version will cost 3,399 Yuan and the high-end variant with 8GB of RAM and 128GB of internal storage will cost 3,999 Yuan in China.