Motorola has announced a new mid-range smartphone, the Motorola Moto Z2 Play in its Moto Z lineup. The specifications of the Motorola Moto Z2 Play were leaked early last month by popular leakster @evleaks, and this new release confirms many of these to be true.
The Moto Z2 Play wasn’t announced alone; other innovative Motorola gadgets in its Moto Mods series were also unveiled. These include the JBL Soundboost 2 mod which provides extra of sound, the TurboPower mod which adds 15W fast charging, and the Moto Gamepad Mod which allows you to use physical gaming controls on your phone. The user also has the option of using Moto Style Shells which possess Wireless Charging, available in different designs.
Moto Z2 Play Review
The Moto Z2 Play runs on the latest version of the Android operating system, Android 7.1.1 Nougat out of the box, thereby offering the best in terms of software features and smartphone applications.
Display & Design
The Z2 Play comes in a metal unibody design with water-repellent nano-coating. It has a 5.5-inch Super AMOLED display with a Full HD (1920 * 1080) pixel resolution and Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection.
The phone weighs just 145 grammes and is 5.99 millimetres thick, giving it its signature ultra-slim design and making it comfortable to move around with.
Memory & Performance
The Moto Z2 Play uses a Snapdragon 626 processor with a clock speed of 2.2GHz and eight processing cores, and an Adreno 506 GPU handles its graphics processes.
The smartphone comes in two memory variants, the first with 4GB of LPDDR3 RAM and 64GB of internal storage, and the second with 3GB of LPDDR3 RAM and 32GB of internal storage. The internal storage of both variants can be expanded up to 2 TeraBytes using an external microSD card.
On the rear of the Z2 Play is a 12MP camera accompanied with a dual-tone LED flash for visibility in poorly lighted environments. The rear (main) camera possesses Dual-Pixel autofocus and Laser Autofocus, has a f/1.7 aperture and can record videos in 4K resolution.
A 5MP camera also with a dual-tone LED flash and a f/2.2 aperture is present at the front to make sure you’re not left out of the selfie euphoria.
The Moto Z2 Play packs a 3000mAh battery, making sure that you are able to enjoy the phone’s numerous features for more than half a day. And peradventure you feel the need to plug the phone in, it won’t take more than 20 minutes to add 50% to the battery juice as it comes with Motorola’s Turbo Charging fast charging technology.
Connectivity & Hardware
The Moto Z2 Play comes in single-SIM and dual-SIM variants, both accepting Nano SIM cards and supporting 4G VoLTE network connectivity with support for all LTE network bands.
The phone possesses a host of connectivity options including Bluetooth 4.2 LE, Dual-band Wi-Fi, NFC, GPS and a USB 3.1 Type-C port. It retains the 3.5mm audio jack, has FM Radio and comes with a host of sensors that would allow you sue VR on it. On the hardware side, the Moto Z2 Play features a fingerprint sensor which is embedded in its physical home button below the display at the front.
Moto Z2 Play Full Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 (AWS) / 1900 / 2100 MHz.
- 4G: LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 29(700), 30(2300), 38(2600), 41(2500), 66(1700/2100).
- Network Speed: –
- SIM Type: Nano SIM.
- SIM Count: Dual SIM / Single SIM.
- OS: Android 7.1.1 Nougat.
- User Interface: –
Design & Display
- Dimensions: 6mm thickness.
- Weight: 145g.
- Display size: 5.5 inches.
- Display Resolution: 1920 * 1080 pixels (Full HD).
- Pixel resolution: ~401 ppi pixel density
- Display Technology: Super AMOLED Capacitive touchscreen.
- Form Factor: Touchscreen Bar.
- Build: Metal Unibody Design.
- Protection: Water-repellent nano-coating.
- Colours: Lunar Gray, Nimbus Blue & Fine Gold.
- Processor Name/Technology: 64-bit Snapdragon 626.
- Processor Speed: 2.2GHz.
- Number of Processor Cores: Octa-core.
- Graphics Processor: Adreno 506.
- RAM: 4GB/3GB.
- Internal Storage: 64GB/32GB.
- External Storage: microSD, up to 2TB.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Light, Proximity, Fingerprint Sensor, Gyroscope, Compass.
- Lens: 12MP.
- LED Flash: Yes, Dual-tone.
- Video recording: Yes, 4K, 2160p@30fps, 1080p@60fps, 720p@120fps.
- Properties: f/1.7 aperture, Dual-Pixel Autofocus, Laser Autofocus, Sony IMX362 sensor, 1.4 µm pixel size.
- Lens: 5MP.
- LED Flash: Yes, Dual-tone.
- Video recording: Yes, 1080p.
- Properties: f/2.2 aperture, 1.4 µm pixel size.
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA.
- Loudspeaker: Yes.
- Audio Technology: –
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player.
- FM Radio: Yes.
- Bluetooth: v4.2.
- Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, LE.
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot.
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS.
- USB: USB 3.0 Type-C 3.0.
- USB OTG: Yes.
- NFC: Yes.
- 3.5mm audio jack: Yes.
- Battery Capacity: 3000mAh.
- Battery Technology: Li-ion.
- Removable? No.
- Fast Charging: Yes, Turbo Charging (charges up to 50% in 20 minutes).
- Extra Features: One button navigation mechanism with fingerprint scanner.
- Launch Date: June 1, 2017.
- Availability: June 1, 2017.
Moto Z2 Play Availability and Price in Brazil, U.S. & India
The 4GB RAM with 64GB ROM variant of the Moto Z2 Play will be available in Brazil from the 1st of June in Nimbus Blue, Lunar Gray and Fine Gold colours at a price of R$ 1,999 (US$ 616 / Rs. 39,725). The second variant would start a price of US$ 499 / Rs. 32,130 in the same colour options.